I write and draw because I love creating new worlds. I would like to say that my love for writing stemmed from my love of reading, as I do devour almost anything handed to me. But in reality, it all started with this game called The Legend of Zelda on the original NES and my great grandmother’s cellar, which turned into a dungeon on my grand adventures with whomever I could wrangle into coming along with me.
While the fantasy genre is my favourite, I do love science fiction and fiction. I’ve read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to Jane Austen, from H. Rider Haggard to E. R. Burroughs. I’ve even been known to read books based off of made up universes and worlds such as Ravenloft and Dragonlance. And while I’m at it, I love vampires, werewolves, and other such classic monsters, but it saddens me to see them reduced to the state that they currently find themselves in.
It’s hard to say when I began writing, but I have been working (and reworking) on Caeruleus Aether actively since 2002. It has seen many an incarnation, and I believe some of the old sites under the universe’s previous names still exist (Eternal Legends, for those curious). I would like to think that the ideas have matured and changed with me. Let’s just hope that they haven’t become overly complicated.
After a very difficult time over the past two years, I’ve realized that turning my work into a graphic novel may not work out for the best. It takes a lot of time and planning, both of which I have precious little of. In light of this fact, I have decided to write. Perhaps later down the road I will convert my stories into graphic novel format. For now, I am content with sharing my stories.
I’ll not only talk about my personal life in vague, technical terms, but also strange things that happened, things I’ve learned, and any current projects. There may even be a dream or two and current books I’m reading thrown in there for good measure. My current projects that you’ll hear about include:
Other random things about me:
- I love popcorn, especially movie theater popcorn.
- Shrimp and I have a special relationship.
- For whatever reason, every time I cut bread I manage to smash it.
- I have a penchant for watermelon, strawberries, frozen grapes, and cantaloupe.
- I seem unable to control myself around cherry cordials, saltwater taffy, and petits fours.
- Disclaimer: if any of the above are in a close vicinity to me, I cannot guarantee their safety.
- I do not take myself seriously. At all.
- I have zero patience for people who spam the site, troll other commentators, and are all around dicks. I have no problem with blocking IP addresses and deleting comments. I’m pretty ruthless about it.
- I love science, science-fiction, and fantasy. I love them with a passion and enjoy incorporating them into my work as well as posting about them.
- I swear a lot. I try not to on this site, but it doesn’t always work out that way.
- I will, on occasion, post something that’s NSFW. I’ll make every effort to label things as such.
- I’m probably going to disappoint you in some way, and I won’t feel sorry that I did.
~G. A. Mehan